Knightdale jumps on Clayton early for Greater Neuse win

From staff reportsOctober 6, 2013 

— The Knights took advantage of a slew of early Clayton problems and never let off the gas in a 52-27 triumph over the Comets last Friday.

Knightdale (5-1, 2-0 Greater Neuse River 4A) scored off a blocked field goal attempt, a safety and a fumble to post 23 points in the first 13 minutes – before Clayton ever hit the scoreboard.

“We handed them some stuff on a silver platter,” Comets coach Randy Pinkowski said. “You don’t beat anybody turning the ball over the first four times you touch it.

“We snapped a punt over the head, we let a field goal get blocked, and then we fumbled the next two possessions. You aren’t going to beat good football teams doing that.”

Clayton (5-2, 1-1) entered the game undefeated against fourth-year Knightdale coach Rob Senseney. The outcome of the meeting of the top two teams in the conference was significant for the Knights, whose 2012 season ended with back-to-back losses to the Comets.

“That left a bad taste in our mouth,” Senseney said. “There’s no more hiding. We’re not popping out from the door playing boo anymore. Everyone expects us to make big plays. It was a good win for us.”

Knightdale’s Justin Blango opened scoring with a 74-yard return of Nick Christiansen’s field-goal attempt that was blocked at the end of Clayton’s five-play opening drive.

After the Comets’ next possession stalled on their own 21-yard line, Christiansen lined up to punt but the ball sailed past him. He kicked it off the ground out the back of the end zone for a safety, giving the Knights a 9-0 lead.

Running back Nate Harvey had six carries for 49 yards on the Knights’ first turn on offense, scoring on the sixth touch from 9 yards. Following a pair of Clayton fumbles, Knights quarterback Marquavious Johnson went to the air for a 28-yard strike to Lamont Chaney, setting up the 23-0 lead.

Harvey picked up his second rushing score from 5 yards out and Clayton’s Jace Brown added a 4-yard touchdown before the break.

Knightdale opened a second-half shootout with a 52-yard Marcell Johnson dash in a drive that ended with a 20-yard keeper by his brother, Marquavious, that gave the home team a 37-7 lead.

Brown and Eric Hoy, who carried most of the workload on the ground for the Comets, each scored from short distances in the third quarter. Their touchdowns sandwiched Johnson’s second touchdown pass to Chaney, a 17-yarder.

Leading 45-20 at the start of the fourth, stand-in Knights quarterback Nick Pope hit Daquan Lilly in stride on the left sideline for a 54-yard strike. Clayton’s lone touchdown pass came on a 23-yard pass from Sam May to Raheem Parker inside the final five minutes.

Clayton’s Brown finished with a game-high 165 yards rushing on 17 carries. Knightdale’s Harvey wasn’t far behind, finishing with 161 yards on 20 touches.

May was 5-for-14 for 99 yards, while Johnson completed five of six passes for 92 yards.

The Knights amassed 441 total yards of offense to Clayton’s 414.

Pirates finally knock off Franklinton

Corinth Holders quarterback Cole Sakowski threw four touchdown passes – two each to Hampton Smith and Dymon Walker – and the Pirates survived a 2-point conversion try with 1:17 to go to get past previously unbeaten Franklinton, 33-32, Friday.

It was the Pirates’ first victory in three tries against their former Northern Carolina 2A rival. Corinth Holders (5-1) begins Two Rivers Conference 3A play next week, against Western Harnett. Last season’s 34-21 loss to Franklinton was the final defeat of the 17-game losing streak that began the varsity football saga for the Pirates.

“Their coaches do a tremendous job, and they have tremendous athletes,” Corinth Holders coach Barry Honeycutt said. “We beat a great football team tonight. That’s what we needed to do.

Franklinton (5-1) scored its final touchdown in the nip-and-tuck game on a 9-yard run by Travon Judkins, who scored three touchdowns including an 18-yard interception return. But Tony Kirkwood intercepted the Rams’ two-point conversion pass, and the Pirates claimed the win after a roughing-the-punter call on fourth down prevented Franklinton from getting one more possession.

Sakowski completed 11 of 25 passes for 216 yards with two interceptions.

“This was very sweet,” Sakowski said. “Tonight was just awesome. We stepped up in the second half. Our defense kept us in the game in the first.

“We’ve still got to cut down on our turnovers. There are always things to improve on.”

The score was 19-19 at halftime.

“We’ve never beaten them before, and that was salt in our wounds,” Hampton Smith said. “It was good we had two weeks to prepare for them. This start means a lot, but we still have a lot to prove.”

Vikings upend East Wake

A week after scoring 54 points in a win over Garner, East Wake (2-4) took a step backwards in a 45-33 non-conference loss to South Granville.

South Granville (5-1) has won every game since a loss to Rocky Mount in week one.

The Vikings held a 14-12 lead after one quarter and extended it to 24-19 by halftime.

The Warriors opened the second half with a scoring drive that gave them a 2-point lead. From that point forward, South Granville outscored East Wake 21-7 en route to the win.

Eastern Wake News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service