Historian to discuss Gettysburg
The East Wake Camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans will host local historian L.D. Perry for a program at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 20, at Boulevard Pizza, 2925 Wendell Blvd., Wendell. Perry will discuss the 150th anniversary commemoration at Gettysburg. A meal will be held at 6:30 p.m., followed by the program at 7:15 p.m. For more information, call 919-365-5206.
Wendell Baptist Church will hold an American Red Cross blood drive from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 24th, in the small Fellowship Hall, Entrance B, 3651 Wendell Blvd., Wendell. For more information, call 919-365-4631.
American Legion Post 529 will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 20, at B&B Wrecker Service, at the Raleigh East Airport, 3 Sisters Road, Knightdale.
Free movie night
Knightdale Recreation Center is hosting a free movie presentation of “Wreck-It Ralph” 6 p.m. Friday, Sept. 6 at Forestville Elementary School. Bring a chair or blanket and enjoy entertainment, food and vendors. The event is sponsored by the Total Connection.
East Regional Library events
East Regional Library has an extensive list of activities for the whole family, at 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale. East Regional Library will host conversations about Southern literature of all types 1 p.m. Friday, Sept. 13. Find a complete list of events at wakegov.com/libraries or call 919-217-5300.
Senior Center events
• An Introduction to Line Dance class is at noon Fridays at 323 Lake Drive, Wendell. The class runs throughout August. Call the center at 919-365-4248.
• The Rex Mobile Mammography Unit will be at the center 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 29, at 323 Lake Drive, Wendell. For appointments, call 919-365-4248.
• The center is hosting its annual free community health fair 9 a.m.-noon, Thursday, Sept. 12. Participants can get flu shots, have blood pressure screenings and compete for door prizes at the Wendell Community Center, 601 W. Third St.
The Wake County Public School System will offer Historias cortas en Español (short stories in Spanish) Part I 6:30-8:30 p.m. Mondays, Aug. 19-Sept. 30, at Knightdale High School, 100 Bryan Chalk Lane, Knightdale. Call 919-431-7593 or visit cs.wcpss.net/index.
A pancake breakfast is set for 8-10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 31, at Applebee’s, 6609 Knightdale. The cost is $7. Proceeds will help pay for medical expenses for Tammy Zukoski, who has cancer. For information, call 919-665-1672.
Registration is open for the annual Zombie Escape 5K race set for 9 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, in Youngsville. For more information, go to raleighmudrun.com. Proceeds benefit the Shepherd Youth Ranch and the Raleigh Jaycees.
Parade sign up
The Wendell Chamber of Commerce is accepting vendor applications and float entries for the Harvest Festival parade. For applications go to www.wendellchamber.com or call 919-365-6318. Entries will be judged for best looking float. The festival is Oct. 4 and 5.
Beyond the Gate Ministries is collecting books for the “Pajama Program of Raleigh.” Books will be given to children in the Wake County foster care system who are waiting to be adopted.
The nonprofit is also collecting new pajamas (newborn to XXXL). Drop donations at Total Connection, 7 W. Third St., Wendell or Dream Coat Ministries, 861 Old Knight Road, Suite 112, Knightdale. Call 919-201-0909 or email firstname.lastname@example.org@gmail.com.
K’dale Parks & Rec
Knightdale Parks & Recreation has scheduled the following summer activities:
• Water Aerobics: 8:15 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, at the Knightdale Community Pool, 202 Milburnie Road.
• Aerobics Classes: 8:30-10 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays; 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and 6-7 p.m. Sunday, at the Knightdale Recreation Center, 102 Lawson Ridge Road.
• Yoga: 5:45-7 p.m. Wednesdays at the Knightdale Clubhouse, 202 Milburnie Road.
• Zumba: 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays at the Knightdale Clubhouse, 202 Milburnie Road.
• The community pool is open. The hours are 11 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday and noon-6 p.m. Sundays. For information on rentals, swim lessons and summer passes, call 919-217-2232. Visit knightdalenc.gov.
East Wake Education Foundation offers summer learning activities for preschool children 10 a.m. Monday through Thursday, at 16 E. Fourth St. Wendell. For information, call 919-366-5901.
• The Knightdale Farmers Market is open 4-7 p.m. Thursdays throughout the summer, at 207 Main St., Knightdale. Call Chris Roland 919-217-2234 or visit knightdalenc.gov.
• The Wendell Farmers Market is open 8 a.m.-noon Saturdays. Visit wendellfarmersmarket.org or call 252-886-1939, or email email@example.com@wendellfarmersmarket.org.
Zebulon Community Library events
Toddler storytime for walkers to age 3 is 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and 11:30 a.m. Thursdays. Preschool storytime for 3- to 5-year-olds is 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays. Storytime and More for 3- to 5-year-olds is 6 p.m. Mondays. Kindergarten to fifth-grade Adventures is 4:30-5:30 p.m. Thursdays, at 1000 Dogwood Drive. For information, visit wakegov.com/libraries/locations or call 919-404-3610.
Wendell Community Library events
Storytime for preschoolers is 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Call 919-365-2600 or go to 207 S. Hollybrook Road.
The Five County Beekeepers Association meets at 7 p.m. on the third Tuesday of each month at the Zebulon Community Center. Guests are welcome to join. For information visit 5cba.org or call Bryon Way, 919-295-0245.
Send announcements at least two weeks before the event to firstname.lastname@example.org.