Area youth compete in state golf tournament
A trio of local youth golfers teed it up in the Trusted Choice Big “I” Junior Classic state tournaments, held July 13-14 in Southern Pines.
In the boys tournament at Longleaf Golf & Country Club, Neville Burton of Wake Forest – who plays for Zebulon in the local junior golf league – shot 69-73 in the 36-hole event. His two-round total of 142 was good for a tie for 7th place in the field of 120 golfers.
Burton was four strokes away from qualifying for the 45th Annual Trusted Choice Big “I” National Championship, slated for Aug. 5-8 at the Country Club of North Carolina in Pinehurst, and three stroke away from earning a spot as an alternate for the national event.
Burton’s junior league teammate, William Lewis of Zebulon, shot 75-74–149 in the state event and tied for 14th.
Also a Zebulon native, Amanda Levy carded 79-75–154 at in the girls state tournament at Pine Needles Lodge & Golf Club. She finished in a tie for 11th place out of the 51 girls golfers in the field.
Sports registrations open
• Registration is still open for the Wendell Rams youth flag football, tackle football and cheerleading programs for ages 5-12.
For more information, call Len Boykin at 919-291-8985.
• Registration for the Tri-County Soccer Club fall season is now open for players ages 2-15.
For more information, visit tcsoccerclub.net or call Darin Dixon at 919-760-5126.
• Registration for Knightdale Parks and Recreation adult coed softball and kickball will run through July 30.
The cost for softball is $35 per player and the cost for kickball is $25 per player.
For more information on the Knightdale programs, contact the parks and recreation department at 919-217-2231 or email Jay Chalk at firstname.lastname@example.org@knightdalenc.gov.
• Football and cheer registration for the Knightdale Dragons Pop Warner organization is now open.
The cost for flag football is $80, cheerleading is $100 and tackle football is $120 per player. The program is open to youth ages 5-15.
A registration form can be filled out online at knightdaledragons.com.
• Registration is now open for the Knightdale Knights youth football and cheerleading program for children ages 5-12.
The cost is $50 for flag football or mascot cheer and $100 for tackle football or cheerleading.
For more information, or to register, visit knightdaleknights.org.
• Corinth Community Recreation is now accepting football and cheerleading registrations for the fall season.
Registration fees are $90 per child and $80 for each additional child.
Registration forms will be accepted at the practice facility beside Corinth Holders Elementary School on Lake Wendell Road from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the following dates: July 27 and Aug. 3.
Conditioning camp will be held Aug. 5-6 and Aug. 8-9 from 6-8 p.m. at no additional charge. Regular practice will begin Aug. 13 at 6:30 p.m.
Registration forms are available online at ccrpirates.com. For more information, call Greg Parrish at 919-796-8226.
Boys & Girls hoops league opens
The Zebulon Boys & Girls Club’s summer basketball league registration is now open for two age divisions – ages 10-12 and ages 13-15.
The cost to register is $10. For more information, visit the club at 1320 Shepard School Road or call 919-404-1087.
Summer youth camp on horizon
• East Wake High School coach Melissa Bell will instruct a volleyball camp for ages 7-14 at the Zebulon Community Center Aug. 5-8 from 9 a.m. to noon. The registration deadline is July 26.
For more information, call the Zebulon Community Center at 919-823-0432. The community center is located at 301 S. Arendell Ave.
Fundraiser to support Knightdale Dragons
A pancake breakfast fundraiser supporting the Knightdale Dragons Pop Warner football and cheer/dance organization will be held Saturday, Aug. 3 from 8-10 a.m. at the Knightdale Applebee’s.
The meal will cost $7 per person. The restaurant is located at 6609 Knightdale Blvd.
Yoga meets in Knightdale
Knightdale Parks and Recreation is now offering Wednesday night yoga classes at the Knightdale Clubhouse.
The classes will run from 5:45 p.m. to 7 p.m. at a cost of $7 per class. Participants are asked to bring their own mat and bottled water.
For more information, call 919-217-2236.
Aerobics classes ongoing
Mandy’s Aerobics is an ongoing class held at the Knightdale Recreation Center.
Class are held Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 8:30-9 a.m. (abs) and 9-10 a.m. (step/sculpt).
Classes also meet Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 6:30-7:30 p.m., and Sundays beginning at 6 p.m.
The cost is $5 per class, and all equipment is provided except for a mat or towel and water bottle.
For more information, call 217-2236.
Zebulon holds fitness classes
The Zebulon Community Center has several offerings for those interested in exercising.
• Boot Camp PM meets on Tuesdays through Nov. 13 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the Zebulon Community Center.
The six-week program is taught by Andrea Gravenhorst and is designed to benefit both athletes and fitness beginners.
The cost is $25 for residents and $30 for nonresidents. For more information, call the center at 919-823-0432.
• Beginners trekking will meet on Wednesdays from Nov. 7-28.
Those interested in some outdoor walking can meet at the Zebulon Community Center for the 10-11 a.m. sessions with Amy Skaggs. In the event of inclement weather, the program will meet inside the community center.
The cost of the six-session program is $18 per resident and $24 for nonresidents. For more information, call the center at 919-823-0432.
• Yoga classes are held Thursdays from 6-7 p.m. at the Zebulon Community Center under the instruction of Ganel Johnson.
The cost is $25 for residents and $30 for nonresidents for seven sessions. For more information, call the community center at 823-0432.
• Zumba classes are held on Mondays from 6-7 p.m. under the instruction of Jennifer Underwood.
The cost for seven sessions is $25 for residents and $30 for nonresidents, or $5 for one class.
• The Get Fit Pass is good for seven sessions of four different classes held at the Zebulon Community Center.
Zumba meets Mondays and Wednesdays from 6-7 p.m., Trekking meets Tuesdays from 9-9:50 a.m., Pilates meets Wednesdays from 9-9:50 a.m., and Strength Training meets Thursdays from 9-9:50 a.m.
The cost for seven sessions is $25 for residents and $30 for nonresidents.
Workouts in Wendell
The Wendell Community Center has several offerings for those interested in exercising.
• Total Body Fitness with Beth Narron is held Tuesdays at 8 a.m. and Zumba is held Tuesdays at 6 p.m.
• Bootcamp Fitness Class with Beth Narron meets Wednesdays at 7 p.m. and another round of Total Body Fitness is held Tuesdays and Thursdays at 8 a.m.
• The community center weight room is open Monday-Thursday from 6 a.m.-9 p.m. and Friday from 6 a.m.-4 p.m. The cost is $10 per month for residents and $20 per month for nonresidents.